Monday, October 20, 2008

Giving carbon offsets a try

On the checkout page at gaiam.com, where I was buying insulated curtains for my bedroom (they're supposed to reduce energy costs by keeping your room cool in the summer and warm in the winter), I had the choice to contribute $2 to plant trees that will offset the carbon impact from shipping the curtains. Now I have to say that I'm skeptical of carbon offsets. I wonder if trees would be planted anyway, so is it really a ruse to alleviate consumer guilt? And could we possibly plant enough trees to make a difference? The program is run through The Conservation Fund, which the website said keeps its administrative costs low so more of your donation goes toward actually planting trees.

So I went ahead and added a $2 Go Zero donation, swayed by a short video showing the Fund planting trees in an area of Louisiana damaged by Hurricane Katrina. It was just $2 and since I was buying the curtains to make my apartment more "eco-friendly," it felt hypocritical to not donate. Regardless of whether it really reduces my carbon impact, it's never a bad idea to plant trees.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete