Friday, September 4, 2009

30 years of farm food in LA

A few days after I railed against a Times op-ed criticizing foodies who encourage people to eat at so-called pricey farmers markets, it was nice to see a positive farmers market story in today's paper. The story, about Los Angeles County celebrating 30 years of farmers markets, was written by Mary MacVean. It said that L.A. is soliciting ideas for how to make farm food more available, with the winning idea being a central hub where farmers could bring their produce to be distributed by electric trucks to neighborhoods. I know what my suggestion would be: longer hours. OK, that may be unrealistic (how long do tomatoes stay fresh sitting under a tent in the bright sun?) but with Long Beach's Sunday farmers market closing at 2 p.m., I can't always get there in time, or forget about it until 1:30 p.m. when it's too late to go. So even though I didn't make it to the market this week, it was nice reading this article and dreaming about the meals I'll make in the future with farm fresh food.

No comments:

Post a Comment