Monday, January 3, 2011

Who needs phone books these days?

I didn't make it my New Year's resolution to start blogging again, but here I am on Jan. 2 in my first post since August. Not because it's a new year and new start, but I've had the past 11 days off and I have time to blog.

I got new phone books on Saturday. Great, I thought, just as I'm purging old stuff to make room for my new clothes, I've got more crap I don't need. I wasn't totally sure that I could put my old ones in the recycling bin. Then today I got an "Eco Guide" from the city about its recycling programs. And there was my answer. Under the heading "Are you recycling all that you can?" was a photo of a telephone book (and a dirty pizza box with the description "clean pizza boxes." I hope people read the fine print because that could lead to some confusion). 

And then there was the really helpful info -- a website for opting out of getting phone books. I went to the link and was able to opt out of the little Yellow Book, but the brick from Verizon wasn't listed as a choice. But at least it's a start. And I'm currently looking through the Verizon book to find a number to call to opt out (hey, there are local maps in here? I remember when I used to like looking through the phone book for information about where I lived. Sigh, another casualty of the Internet).

No comments:

Post a Comment