Monday, January 5, 2009

No more catalogs

Yesterday in the mail I got just what I've been really wanting ... a catalog of window coverings. True, that might have come in handy in my old house where we didn't cover any of the large windows (yes our neighbors had a full view of what we were watching on TV). But it was unfortunate timing on smith+noble's part because I've kinda got that whole naked window thing taken care of in my new apartment. So I really, really don't need a catalog full of fancy woven shades and wooden blinds.

A while ago on the radio I heard about Catalog Choice, a website where you can opt out of receiving those annoying catalogs you somehow got signed up for (Pottery Barn and all its related companies is the worst). Smith+noble begrudgingly in hand, I finally got to use it. And I'm definitely a fan. It's free and took only a few minutes. After you sign up, you can search for a catalog by name and then change your mail preference to opt out of receiving the catalog. After I hit submit I got this message: "We'll take it from here. Please allow at least twelve weeks for your request to be processed." They contact the catalog for you and that's it. That's good because if I flip through a catalog long enough, I start wanting the pretty things inside. I admit that the vintage patterns in their fabric collection did catch my eye. Good thing I won't be tempted by another catalog from them. Because really, who needs shades that cost $39 a yard.

The link for Catalog Choice is: https://www.catalogchoice.org/dashboard

2 comments:

  1. I did this a couple of months ago and was so happy. I couldn't believe how many catalogs actually existed. but it is so nice not to have all this junk mail.

    if only i could do that with the bills!

    ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you! Ya, it seems like such a waste of paper when a magazine goes straight from your mailbox to your recycle bin. I also wish I could do this with the grocery store circulars that come in the mail not once, but twice a week.

    ReplyDelete