Thursday, January 8, 2009

A year's worth of trash

The other day, I heard NPR's show Day to Day tease an upcoming story about a Los Angeles man named Dave Chameides who saved all his trash for one whole year. Yes, that's right, 365 days worth of trash and recycling. He did it to become more informed about how much he consumes and to learn how to minimize his waste (ya, figures he's from LA, land of the Prius). I remembered hearing something about him before. It turns out NPR did a story on him at the beginning of 2008 when he started the challenge, and then checked back in with him periodically. The story that I heard, which aired on Dec. 30, looked at the final tally of all the trash and recycling he'd collected in his basement.

My ears pricked up when he challenged others to try this for a week. I'm a sucker for challenges so I thought I should try it, especially considering I'm blogging about my environmental efforts. I've already cut back on my use of grocery bags, plastic baggies and disposable coffee cups. In fact, a few days before listening to the story, I was taking stock of how far I've come. That day I put the bread for my lunch in a plastic container instead of using a plastic bag, brought a mug when I got coffee at Coffee Bean, and then that night after I cooked I put leftovers in a plastic yogurt container I'd saved to reuse. Reduce, check. Reuse, check. But before I feel too high and mighty, I thought it would be interesting to do the challenge as a way of recognizing other ways I create waste without realizing it.

Day to Day had a blog about Dave's efforts. The coolest thing on it was a video of Dave explaining what he puts in a backpack he carries with him everywhere he goes. I liked his tone. It was friendly and informative without being holier than thou. He carries a SIGG bottle (eliminating the need to buy bottles of water) and a coffee mug. Before I could think, "OK Dave, tell me something I don't know," he started pulling out crazier stuff like utensils, a camping bowl that unfolds so it's flat when stored and a kitchen towel. I liked the towel idea. I don't use a lot of plastic utensils and bowls since I usually eat my lunch at work so that didn't seem as necessary. But I like the idea of cutting back on paper towels and napkins. I'm not sure if I'll start carrying a towel in my purse (seeing as how I don't carry around a backpack), but I have tried to use the kitchen towels at our office more instead of automatically reaching for a paper towel.

I've been too busy with other stuff to start my weeklong trash challenge, but I'll do it soon. And when I do, I'll let you know how it goes.

To read more about Dave's experiment, his blog is 365 Days Of Trash.
His current blog is Sustainable Dave.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey amanda!

    people in japan always carry around handkerchiefs or small towels because most public bathrooms don't have paper towels. some of the newer and more western places might, but even the fancy places don't. so this year i've been trying to keep a small towel in my bag.. and it actually works out well!

    ps. happy obama day (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a good idea, to keep the towel small like a handkerchief so it would fit in my purse. If I get any strange looks when I'm in the bathroom I'll tell them it's all the rage in Japan. Now I just have to figure out where to get one, seeing as how handkerchiefs aren't much in vogue these days!

    ReplyDelete