Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Even Wal-Mart wants you to stop using paper cups

I just watched a commercial for Wal-Mart that told viewers to use a travel mug when they buy coffee instead of a non-recyclable paper cup. I know that Wal-Mart's real goal is to get you into their stores but that doesn't bother me because the commercial was right, and educational. It pointed out that paper coffee cups aren't recyclable because the material lining the inside makes them waterproof. It also said that some coffee shops give discounts if you bring your own container ('tis true, although at the Coffee Bean it's a mere 10 cents). I hope people take the lesson and buy their travel mug wherever they damn well please.

In other random green observations, I saw proof today that anyone and everyone can embrace using reusable shopping bags. A burly older man with a backwards baseball cap and graying mustache and beard walked into my neighborhood Ralph's today with a reusable green bag decorated with a recycling symbol. He threw a log into his bag (with record high temps? OK, maybe his judgment isn't always good) and went on his merry way. That's one more for the green team!

No comments:

Post a Comment