Sunday, November 22, 2009

Free reusable bags for LA County residents


I thought this was cool. Los Angeles County is trying to do its part to reduce the 6 billion plastic bags used by residents every year. Through Dec. 17, you can turn in five plastic bags and get a free (FREE!) reusable bag in return. The Brag About Your Bag campaign runs on weekends at participating Albertsons, Ralphs and Top Valus in cities throughout the county. I heard about it because my city, Long Beach, is participating and there was a brief story and column about it in our free weekly Grunion Gazette. Usually I blog about things I've done or plan to do (still haven't eaten those sardines, oops!) but I don't actually have five plastic grocery bags lying around my house because I'm really good about remembering my reusable bags when I go grocery shopping. But if I end up with five before Dec. 17, I'll be turning them in for a free bag. I already have eight reusable bags. Having so many guarantees there are always a few in my apartment and my car for my next shopping trip, but you can't have too many, especially since the two I have from Trader Joe's are a little worse for the wear.

The link for more information is www.bragaboutyourbag.com. To find out if your city is participating, click the Brag About Your Bag Campaign 2009 link on the left banner. Then click Partners and Sponsors along the top to see a list of cities.

No comments:

Post a Comment