Wednesday, November 25, 2009

How to have a green Christmas


Between Thanksgiving and New Year's, Americans produce 25 percent more trash than normal (according to the EPA). I couldn't let the holidays pass without trying to reduce my consumption. My goal this holiday season is to reduce and reuse (and of course recycle), which means I'm not buying wrapping paper, bows or Christmas cards.

In lieu of wrapping paper I'm going to use brown paper bags I already had in my cupboard by decorating them as best as my minimal artistic ability allows. I have a few ideas for tags, one is that I might cut up colorful and sturdy retail bags -- like the pink striped ones you get from Victoria's Secret (maybe even incorporating the word 'Secret' into the tag). For an extra flourish, this week I bought a bag of old, small Christmas tree balls for $2 at the Assistance League thrift store on Long Beach's Retro Row. The snowflake design made them look especially decorative and they'll be a fun alternative to bows.

At the Goodwill I bought pine cone potpourri for $1. It didn't have any scent left but that was OK because I used it to fill up a bowl of four huge pine cones I brought back from a trip to Reno this summer. The bowl is always on display but adding the potpourri made it Christmas-y.

At first I figured I wouldn't send Christmas cards this year, but when I brought up my container of holiday decorations from storage, I found enough cards from years past to be able to send cards without having to buy new ones. Hopefully I won't send someone a card they got before. But if I do and you're reading this, it was for a good cause!

Granted, I'll still be buying gifts (with four nephews I can't avoid that) and I'm flying to Dallas to visit my sister and her family, but doing these little things make me feel better because I feel more aware of my consumption. It's easy to get sucked in and mindlessly buy, buy, buy at Christmas. But I feel more in the spirit reusing balls that decorated a family's tree decades ago and brought little kids joy than  rushing off to Target and filling my cart with cheaply-made decorations, paper products and stuff shipped from China. Reusing connects us with the past and isn't that what Christmas should really be about -- sharing memories, spending time with loved ones and and appreciating what we have instead of always wanting more.


No comments:

Post a Comment