Sunday, April 4, 2010

Cities should charge for bags

I love this story. In January, Washington, D.C. started charging a five-cent tax on bags and it has made a huge difference. The number of bags used by shoppers dropped dramatically -- from 22.5 million to 3 million.
 
I've always felt that cities should do what D.C. is doing because I think they're going to have to in order to get people to make the switch. We'd like to think that everyone is going to be environmentally conscious but the reality is that old habits die hard, that is until money is involved. All the folks at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods carry their reusable bags into the store with pride but the regular ol' grocery store is a different matter. Some people bring their own bags but it still seems to be a minority, even in California where the major chains are required to sell reusable bags.

I hear people saying they always forget their bags but if they were suddenly charged, I can guarantee they wouldn't leave home without them. It is an easy habit to get into. I hardly ever forget my bags because I have a half dozen at home, plus three in the car that roll up and fit in my glove compartment. All right, to be honest I did forget a bag today when I went to Home Depot. I almost was going to run to my car to get my bag before I got in line but I decided not to because I was being lazy. But I bet if I'd been charged for that bag, I would have gone back to my car. Not because five cents is a lot of money but because of the principal of it -- why pay for something you already have.

The tax is one of the first of it's kind in the nation, according to the Washington Post article. Even better, the money raised from the tax is paying for a river cleanup. I hope that other cities follow in D.C.'s lead, and soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment