Monday, April 12, 2010

Sometimes it's OK to buy stuff

I need a new toaster oven. I usually feel guilty when I want to replace items that still work, just because I'm tired of them or they're out of date. The first R -- reduce -- is in the lead spot for a reason. I thought about replacing my toaster more than a year ago when I moved into my apartment. Moving brings out that "spring cleaning" feeling of wanting to throw everything away and buy stuff that's as clean and new as your new place feels. But I held off because it worked just fine and after I gave it a good cleaning, looked pretty good too (except for some rust on the top).

Fast forward to now. A few months ago a piece of the knob chipped off, making it harder to rotate to broil, my most-used setting. But I still resisted. Then the other day I accidentally left the bag my tortillas came in on top of the toaster. It made a disgusting mess of melted plastic that then hardened. I had no idea how I would get it off. But I didn't spend any time thinking about it (and by that I mean Googling it) because I decided I'd had enough. I wanted, and was going to buy, a new toaster.

My bubble was briefly popped when I was driving to Macy's. I caught the end of an interview Patt Morrison was doing with Annie Leonard, the author of "The Story of Stuff." She was talking about our desire for stuff and the toll our disposable culture takes on the environment. "Our stuff is trashing the planet ..." Talk about a sign. But when I thought about it, I realized that I think this was the toaster my best friend bought me when I moved to Florida in 2000 for my first real job after college. I was poor and possession-less and it was a sweet gesture. It was also practical, since that Black & Decker toaster lasted 10 years and four moves. So I decided that Patt and Annie weren't talking about me. I wasn't being wasteful, just the opposite. I mean, does anyone keep a toaster that long?

Turns out that Macy's was sold out of the toaster I wanted. I didn't take that as a sign either. As soon as I got home I ordered the same toaster from Amazon. It'll be delivered any day now. And when it does, I'm not going to feel guilty. Only problem is that with the hardened plastic adorning the top of my old toaster, I'm not sure I can donate it to Goodwill. And that brings up a whole other issue. What do I do with a toaster that no one wants?

I listened to the whole interview while writing this post. Annie had some good suggestions, many which I follow.

-- Use rechargeable batteries. And if you do have regular batteries, don't throw them in the trash. Take them to an electronics store or a hazardous waste disposal site for recycling.

-- Stop using single-use disposable items like coffee cups and plastic bags.

-- Resist the urge to upgrade your electronics, which are loaded with lead, cadmium, mercury and other toxins. E-waste is the most hazardous part of our garbage. When you do get rid of something, make sure you recycle it with an e-Stewards certified recycler so it doesn't get shipped to a third-world country, where electronics are smashed open for the gold and copper, and all those toxins gets spilled out.

So for now, I'll continue using my cell phone even if I get made fun of for not having a new fancy one. It works just fine. With that one, Annie's got my back. But I'm going to enjoy the hell out of my new toaster too.

No comments:

Post a Comment