Sunday, March 22, 2009

A power strip that saves electricity

I need a power strip, which gave me the opportunity to look into buying one I'd read about a while ago. There are power strip surge protectors that automatically turn off the devices plugged into them, which cuts down on something called "vampire power." That's the smalllow leaking of power that happens when your electronics are plugged in, even when they're turned off. But after looking into it, I think one wouldn't fit my needs.

An article by New York Times technology writer David Pogue from last year sings the praises of the APC Power-Saving SurgeArrest power strip surge protector. But it's only for desktop computers and all the gadgets we have connected to them. I need a power strip for a wall with three things plugged into it -- a small stereo, cable modem and wireless router. And I have a laptop, not a desktop computer, and I don't have peripherals like a printer or scanner. So I guess there's no point.

Pogue's article says that "25 percent of the power used by home electronics is consumed while they are turned off." For those who might be interested in buying one, the website EFI (Energy Federation Inc.) has the APC and other types of energy-saving surge protectors for sale.

In the meantime, I'll buy an ordinary power strip. And it's a small inconvenience but I'll try to remember to unplug my laptop at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment