Monday, May 4, 2009

Out of sight, out of mind

During my trash experiment in February, in which I collected my trash for a week to get a better idea of what I throw away and where I could minimize waste, one change I made was to switch to paperless statements. Well, my good intentions almost got me in trouble.

For the past six months I've been paying off some furniture I bought on a Cost Plus credit card (interest free!). It's a fairly new credit card so I'm not that used to paying it. When the statement stopped coming in the mail, it was out of sight, out of mind until today, when, looking over last month's bank statement, seeing April's payment triggered my memory. I had an "Oh god" moment -- had the due date already passed? "Whew." I just looked it up online and it's not due until next week.

The e-mailed bill must have gone to my junk mail. I just went through my junk mail and didn't see it, so I'm guessing I erased it weeks ago without noticing it. Thankfully, this memory game is almost over. I'm one month away from paying the credit card off, which means I just have to remember to pay in June.

For now, I'm off to pay this month's bill online before I forget.

----
And in other news, I can cross one more catalog off my list. I called Lego today and had them take me off their mailing list. At Christmas I had ordered a Lego toy online for my nephew, so they sent me their Spring 2009 catalog -- something an adult with no children really has no use for, although it did make me a little nostalgic. It took a few minutes (and one wrong phone call to the Taj Majal resort in Atlantic City) but it was worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment