Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My own little apartment herb garden


A month or so ago a friend asked if I wanted to get a place with her. I was open to the idea because apartment living had me wanting -- dreaming of really -- outdoor space and all the things I could do with it. But as fun as it was to look at a house with a huge backyard with a garden already started, after thinking about it for a few days I had to accept that I preferred living by myself -- the whole "I can do what I want when I want" thing. But it was a wake-up call that instead of always looking for something better, I should work with what I have. A full garden brimming with tomato and squash plants was out of the question but apartment be damned, I could grow my own herbs.

I did research online and then headed off to a nearby Armstrong Garden Center, where I bought four baby plants: basil, thyme, oregano and rosemary. I planned to put them indoors on a windowsill but an employee said the 3-inch pots  I was going to buy wouldn't be big enough as the plants grew. So I ended up planting the herbs in two pots I already owned that are about 8 and 10 inches in diameter. I put them downstairs just inside the entrance to my apartment building. It's not as convenient as having the herbs right in my kitchen, but hopefully they'll fare better outside. I don't consider myself to have a green thumb so the test will be if I can keep them alive long enough to actually use them.


I was told that rosemary grows big so it should have its own pot.

1 comment: