Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Freshness: the key ingredient in a farmers market salad


I just wanted to update Sunday's post with a pic of the beautiful salad I made today with my farmers market bounty. I really liked the spinach and mixed greens. Buying lettuce is a pain at the grocery store because the bagged mixed greens are limp and go bad quickly and the loose kind gets wet from being constantly misted so it doesn't last long either. And sometimes, I admit, I'm lazy about having to wash and cut the good ol' romaine or green leaf. But my farmers market mixed greens were dry and fresh. My non-waxy cucumber was crispy and the red pepper that cost 25 cents was sweet. All around, a good salad day. I added black beans, rice I'd made earlier and a Trader Joe's chicken sausage pulled from the freezer. And there you have it ... a filling lunch. What can I say, it doesn't take a lot to make me happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment