Monday, August 3, 2009

Reducing junk mail one call at a time

What's a good definition of waste? Catalogs that go directly from your mailbox to your recycling bin, perhaps with a brief stay on a side table, ignored amid the other catalogs full of things you don't need.

That's why I called Gaiam today and asked to be taken off their mailing list. A year ago I ordered curtains off their website and have been getting their catalog since. Initially I'd look through it and saw things I considered ordering, like composting trash bags. But every catalog has the same items so after a while I stopped looking at it. I'd meant to call them when I got their Summer 2009 catalog. Then they sent me another Summer 2009 catalog merely a month later. I guess I was supposed to get excited by 20 percent off their already-overpriced organic cotton sheets and bedspreads. No, it just bugged me that it came while the first one was still being ignored (on my side table). The catalogs say they are made with 30 percent recycled material but still, for a company promoting green living, the word hypocrite comes to mind. The slogan on the cover says "Simple Choices Make a Difference." Yes they do. I called the 800-number on the back and it took just minutes to be taken off their mailing list. And now both catalogs are in my recycling bin.

But on a good note, I brought my car to the Toyota dealership today for an oil change and they told me they were no longer mailing their coupon flier. It came up when they asked for my e-mail address. I always hesitate before giving companies my e-mail because I don't want my inbox to be inundated with "special deals" every week that really just involve them getting you to spend more money. They probably are trying to save money during the recession but I liked that they were reducing their paper waste ... and that I didn't have to do anything to get one less thing I don't care about mailed to me (and no, I didn't give them my e-mail address).

1 comment:

  1. Have you tried paying the $1 and removing yourself from the DMA database? I did this years ago and hardly get any 'junk' mail other than the local grocery store circulars. Here's the site:
    https://www.dmachoice.org . Good luck! =)

    ReplyDelete