Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Will too much carbon consumption make me fat?

On Monday I listened to a personal trainer talk about how to train properly for the new rugby season, which started tonight. He said that if you're working out hard, you need to eat enough calories to give you energy and quicken your recovery. Then he wrote a shockingly large number on the white board: 4,000 to 5,000 calories a day.

With rugby season underway, my calories are not the only number going up. My carbon consumption is also on the rise. No longer will I be taking public transportation to work once or twice a week. No, from now until November when the season ends, it'll be zero times a week. I need to drive to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays so I can drive to practice afterwards. And on Wednesdays, I need to drive so I can get to the gym in time to meet my workout partner and have enough energy for a good workout. No more jogging three miles from work to the train station and calling that my exercise for the day. Now I've gotta kick it up a notch and spend my evenings at practice or the gym or at the stairs or doing sprints.

Oh well, c'est la vie. My summer public transportation habit was nearing an end anyway. In about three weeks we'll start getting busy at work and I probably would've stopped taking the train then. It just came sooner than expected. So starting now, let the carbon counting begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment