Sunday, August 16, 2009

A sprint through the farmers market

I've discovered another reason why I love shopping at the farmers market. Speed.

As I was driving down Ocean to Trader Joe's today after meeting someone for a late morning/early afternoon coffee, I saw signs for the farmers market. I glanced at my car clock: 1:58 p.m. The market closes at 2 but the row of white tents were still up, so I quickly turned around and cut through the Whole Foods parking lot.

I parked, grabbed the cotton bag from my trunk and rushed over as sellers were packing up their stands. They didn't mind me being there as they loaded boxes onto their trucks, although I didn't get any great last-minute bargains (except a free lemon). In 10 minutes for just under $10, I bought:

-- a cucumber: 50 cents (sans slick wax coating. The woman working the stand told me the wax helps them last longer, so those cucs in the grocery store could be a few weeks old.)
-- bag of four red peppers: $1 (perhaps the best deal of the day)
-- bag of fingerling potatoes: $3
-- loose mixed salad greens at $3.50 for 1/2 lb: $2
-- two tomatoes at $1/lb: 75 cents (also a good deal)
-- green beans: $2 (the organic ones were $3)
-- a small lemon from the 3 for $1 pile: free!

You'll notice I didn't buy any fruit. I knew I could get cheaper in-season fruit at the grocery store by buying what's on sale (for example, grapes for 77 cents a pound at Ralphs compared to $2 a pound at the farmers market).

But I love how quickly I bought the produce, putting together meals in my mind as I saw what was available. I'll be able to make a few salads this week with the wonderful mixed greens, plus the green beans and potatoes will go with the chicken I bought afterwards at Trader Joe's. In just a half hour, I got most of my shopping done for the week. Check and check. Now I just have to cook it!

No comments:

Post a Comment